Thursday 16 July 2015

The cliché

I suppose it’s a bit of cliché to say that J.D. Salinger’sThe Catcher in the Rye” changed my life. Afterall, it kind of changed a lot of people’s lives after reading it, either for the better or worse.
I was about 14 or even 15 years old when I first heard about it. Originally it was for an English assessment in high school in relation to self-identity.  Upon first impressions, Salinger’s language captivated me and spoke to me unlike any other book I had previously read. I love to read, but if I can’t understand what the author is saying and they’re trying to say it, then sadly I pass on the book after a few pages, as I would rather straight up enjoy the story than try to enjoy the story. But I didn’t seem to have that problem with Salinger’s writing at all.
I think in a way most people can identify themselves with Holden and his feelings towards others; how he expresses his thoughts is quite similar to how most people would also express themselves.

Maybe it’s because of this, that Salinger’s “The Catcher in the Rye” changed me a bit, because I came to the realisation that not all books are trying to just tell you a story, they’re also trying to speak to you on a personal level; one that you can familiarise yourself with because you’ve shared similar thoughts with the main character before.

No comments:

Post a Comment